GENERAL ADMISSION STATEMENT
GENERAL ADMISSION STATEMENT
Enrollment in Saint Michael College of Allied Health Associate of Applied Science Degree in Nursing is open to applicants who have graduated from an accredited high school or have obtained their GED. Students must be 18 years old prior to taking the National Licensure Examination. All rights, privileges, programs, and activities in the program are made available to all students regardless of their religion, gender, race, color, and national origin.
ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS AND PROCEDURES
Application forms can be obtained at Saint Michael College of Allied Health at 8305 Richmond
Highway, Unit 10A, Alexandria, VA 22309.
Applicants will be considered for admission to Saint Michael College of Allied Health Associate of Applied Science (Nursing) after successfully completing the following requirements:
- Provide an official, translated high school transcript from an accredited high school or GED
- Achieve a Reading Comprehension Score of 75% or higher and a math score of 70% or higher on Evolve Reach Admission Assessment Exam.
- Any applicant who has earned 24 credit hours or more from pre-nursing courses listed below and has submitted official translated transcripts from an approved/accredited college or university will be exempted from submission of an official high school transcript.
- Anatomy and Physiology I with Laboratory (4 Credits)
- Anatomy and Physiology II with Laboratory (4 Credits)
- Microbiology with Laboratory (4 Credits)
- English Composition I (3Credits)
- Research and Literature (3Credits)
- General Psychology (3Credits)
- Developmental Psychology ( 3Credits)
- College Mathematics (3Credits)
CANDIDATE ACCEPTANCE PROCEDURE
- Submit a completed application form and application fee.
- Have all non-English credentials and transcripts translated and evaluated by SMCAH approved Credential Evaluation Agencies:
- Educational Credential Evaluators Inc. (ECE) PO Box 514070, Milwaukee, WI 53203. Telephone: (414) 289-3400 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Web: www.ece.org
- World Education Services (WES), Bowling Green Station, P.O. Box 5087. New York, NY 10274-5087 Telephone: (212)966-6311. Web: www.wes.org
- Submit two personal references from previous teachers or employers.
- Submit a current American Heart Association (AHA) CPR Certification card: Current certification is required for all clinical courses. It is the student’s responsibility to keep the certification current.
- Supply complete documentation that Health Requirements are met: evidence of having received a physical exam, immunization for Rubella, Tetanus, and Hepatitis B series (or sign a waiver of decline for Hepatitis B immunization).
- Supply proof of a negative tuberculin skin test or chest x-ray. These records must be on file within the first two weeks of classes. It is the student’s responsibility to keep this information current.
- Health Insurance is strongly recommended.
- Saint Michael College of Allied Health assumes no responsibility for any injuries and/or illnesses incurred while performing one’s duties as a student nurse.
- Malpractice Insurance is provided by Saint Michael College of Allied Health for nursing students when performing duties on behalf of or under the direction of the College.
- Complete a personal interview with the President /Program Director or his designee and/or the school Financial Advisor.
- Submit to a drug screening prior to beginning clinical courses. Students must abide by the drug screening policies of each clinical agency in which they are assigned for clinical practicum.
- Saint Michael College of Allied Health (SMCAH) maintains a drug-free environment.
- Students who test positive for illicit drugs will be excluded from the program.
- Criminal background checks will be conducted on all students prior to beginning clinical courses.
- If a nursing student is prohibited from participating in a clinical rotation based on his or her criminal background screening, the school will make every effort to place the student in a comparable clinical setting. If the school is unable to facilitate this placement, the student will be dismissed from the nursing program due to his or her inability to progress.
- Students may be denied access to clinical facilities based on offenses appearing on their criminal records which may have occurred more than seven years ago.
- Students should also know that having a criminal background may hinder future employment opportunities in health care facilities or home care.
The Admissions Committee is responsible for reviewing all applications and documents for admission. Successful applicants who are granted admission into the Associate of Applied Science (Nursing) are notified in writing. The successful applicants are required to return a signed copy of the application form with the initial deposit to the school’s admissions office two weeks before the start of classes. Admission is granted to qualified applicants who have met all the admission criteria and standards published in the catalog.
Applications and documents submitted by an applicant for the admission process remain the property of SMCAH and will not be returned to the applicant whether or not the applicant is admitted.